“The Third Generation”
The estate was founded in Marsannay in 1910 by Henri Bouvier, Bernard’s grandfather. René Bouvier, Bernard’s father, took over in the mid-1950s, and developed the estate by buying and renting vineyard plots, reaching a total of 12 hectares (≈ 29.5 acres) in 1991.
Bernard then took over in 1992, continuing to expand the Domaine René Bouvier.
In 1998, he bought Marsannay Le Clos (3 hectares / ≈ 7.5 acres) in Couchey, a monopole known for the quality of its white wine. It was also at this time that an additional hectare was added to the Clos du Roy cuvée.
From 2000 onwards, Bernard Bouvier began working in partnership with producers of Premier Cru and Grand Cru wines.
In 2001, the fundamentals of a new qualitative approach were in place: manual harvesting in small 20 kg boxes, with sorting tables, gravity fermentation, etc. The same year saw the acquisition of 2 hectares ( ≈ 5 acres) in Gevrey-Chambertin, including the very old vines that make up the Racine du Temps cuvée (90-year-old vines).
The year 2006 marked a turning point, with the construction of a new winery in Gevrey-Chambertin, which makes it possible to experiment (e.g. a longer ageing period, demi-muids (600-litre barrels), and concrete egg-shaped tanks), for even more quality and purity in the wines.
Even though careful soil management has always been a priority, 2009 saw the formal beginnings of 100% sustainable organic wine-making (with certification from the 2013 vintage onwards).
Since 2016, we have continued to follow the same working philosophy, but without official certification.
In 2019, Bernard took over the vineyards owned by his brother Régis, which are also in the Côte de Nuits, between Morey-Saint-Denis and Marsannay-La-Côte.